Featured...

Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information...

Sunday, May 25, 2014

The Other Side by Faraaz Kazi, Vivek Banerjee


Blurb (from the jacket):


"A slow rasping sound made me turn. I jumped back, the cell phone leaving my hands and smashing against the concrete floor. Someone was seated on the chair, rocking back and forth. Through the fallen light, I could see those hands placed on the arms of the chair, two gruesome wrinkled limbs with ugly boils plastered over the black skin. The red bangles on its wrists shone in my eyes, momentarily blinding me. That thing and I call it a thing because I could sense it wasn't human as no human could have such a hideous form, as vile an existence as the one seated opposite to my horrified self."

From a honeymoon in the hill that goes horribly wrong to an obsessed lover who wants his first love in life and in death; From a mentally deranged man who collects body parts of various women to stitch together his dream girl to a skeptic who enters a mansion of horrors to win a bet and much more, this book is filled with scenarios that are guaranteed to give you goosebumps and sleepless nights.

'The Other Side' is a collection of thirteen tales of the paranormal; a world that our eyes refuse to see, our ears deny hearing and our senses ignore the feel of. This is a book for someone who is brave enough to take up this invitation to journey through uncharted waters along with the authors, who were inspired by some bizarre experiences to pen down this work where the lines of reality have been blurred by the footsteps of imagination.

Each story takes you on a tour de force of unadulterated horror and draws upon the deepest fear in the human mind- the fear of the UNKNOWN!


Our take on the book:
Horror is one genre in the category of books that has been always fascinating for me. If it was a movie, they would show so horrifying things that you will be downright scared, but the concept of scaring a reader seemed to me skeptical. The very idea of scaring a person with his own will - while he is reading - arose a few doubts in me. Well, they were all flattened out when I started reading it.

I must agree, it is no myth. Horror stories do creep you out!

I don't know much about Vivek Banerjee, but I am pretty familiar with Faraaz Kazi. I have read his another book, Truly Madly Deeply. Guess who recommended that to me: GoodReads. The book tops a list of Indian books. Back then, I was of the impression that it must be a very good book. I read the book with the same impression and perceived better out of good. It is only know I learnt the truth, which would reveals in some other part of this review. Read on!

I truly appreciate the authors for coming up with such a new concept. I mean, not many authors come forward to write horror stories, especially when his first novel is a romance. Most of the romance writers stick to writing romances, as if they are incapable of writing anything worthwhile. Let that be. Consider their romances. Is there much difference to them? No! They are just a set of different combinations. Well, it is not their mistake, it is Indian readership that encourages romances. I don't mean romances should be banned, but why romance always? Read something more interesting or worthwhile people!

Getting back the book in discussion. I like the feel of this book. Its glossy eyes printed on the cover, the embossed title of the book. They are small things that have a great impression on the reader.

Another notable aspect of the book are the illustrations. There are one illustration or so in each story, which is nothing much but inspiring.

The story are very simple. They are just age-old story you have listened from your grandmother, retold with such vividness that could literally watch the story play in front of your eyes. Yet, they are simple stories, urban legends. The story you are already familiar with. The stories you have been listening from your elder, since your adolescence. Urban legends retold with much precision.

Overall, it was okay read. Not great, but not boring either. Scary at times and interesting at others. An average read...

                     

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Title: The Other Side

Author: Faraaz Kazi, Vivek Banerjee

Tagline: ... Dare To Visit Alone?

ISBN (edition I've read): 9789350880760

Rating:

Read between: 22-05-2014 to 25-05-2014

Reviewed for: Faraaz Kazi

Publishers: Mahaveer Publishers

Pages: 320

MRP: ₹ 150

The best deal of this book could be found here:  

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like: