Featured...

Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information...

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Unsung Songs by Khushi Jivan




Blurb (from the jacket):


Khushi’s is not just a collection of poetic thoughts worded together; hers is the song of a little robin on your window, the cuckoo in her nest. Sweet, melancholic, longing, warming still the cockles of the heart… With a surreal sense to these expressions ‘unsung songs’ is a glimpse of her journey so far on the long road of soul-searching. Come feel serenaded by this bouquet of compositions, poetry born not from thoughts but feelings, not the mind but the heart.


My take on the novel:
This is perhaps the second collection of poems we had accepted to review, after The Crossover.

I must agree, the cover is pretty feminine. Yeah, cover designs too have genders, I learnt from this book. It was designed in the various shades of pink with diamond, the floral designs, the budding flowers on the cuckoo, the key hanging from the branch with a chain; basically, everything was feminine about the cover design. If I had come across this book in a bookstore I would have easily over-looked it as a chic-lit.

The poems are pretty introspective, thought-inspiring and interesting. That is when the question of whether it is worth the bucks arises. If you wonder so, poems are not your thing. Poems are not gauged by worth, but by meaning. And also, poems affect each reader differently. It entirely depends on the reader's thoughts and perspective on perceiving the meaning of a poem. So basically, what I express in this review are my own thoughts and the effect that these poems had on me.

There are some really introspective poems, but there were also poems which made no sense to me at all. The too surrealistic metaphors had blacked out my mind for quite some time. Otherwise, I would have completed reading the book in an hour.

I hoped that the book was better edited. There was a poem - Moments - that was printed twice.

Overall, the book is an average read. One must read the exert before deciding to whether buy the book or not. My personal opinion is that I liked it and that's it...

                

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Title: Unsung Songs

Author: Khushi Jivan

ISBN (edition I've read): 9789383562398

Rating:

Read between: 01-08-2014 to 03-08-2014

Reviewed for: Parag Mayekar

Publishers: Leadstart Publishers

Pages: 96

MRP: ₹ 125   |   $ 5

The best deal for this book could be found here:  

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like: