Featured...

Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information...

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Seahorse by Janice Pariat




Blurb (from the jacket):


Nem is a student of English literature at Delhi University. He drifts between classes, weed-hazy parties, and the amorous complexities of campus life, until a chance encounter with an art historian steers him into a world of pleasure and artistic discovery. Nem’s life is irrevocably transformed. One day, without warning, his mentor disappears.

In the years that follow, Nem cocoons himself in South Delhi, writing for a chic cultural journal. When he is awarded a fellowship to London, a cryptic note plunges him into a search for the art historian—a search which turns into a reckoning with his past. 

Retelling the myth of Poseidon and his youthful male devotee Pelops, Seahorse transforms a simple coming-of-age story into an epic drama of loss, love, and healing.


My take on the book:
Its a rare gem. It is not very often I leave a book hanging.

Its obvious that anyone hates half a story, letting it hang there like a stationary pendulum. It serves no purpose and oddly irritating to be in its presence. Well, it takes a lot for me to give up the book. I review books! My patience is totally justifiable.

But this book had got better of me.

I appreciate John Green's work, The Fault in Our Stars. The writer is a male, while the protagonist of the story is a female. There was not a moment in that story that I felt deviated by this fact. So perfect was his narration. Even Seahorse had a similar case. The writer is a woman, while the protagonist was a male. It is really appreciable of the author who attempts such an effort. Very dedicating. But only in this case, the protagonist was gay.

I am not against homosexuality, but when I was reading this book, I could feel that the protagonist was a female. It was pretty clearly evident. Or maybe, it could be that the protagonist is gay, so they tend to be have these qualities. The way they look at a man and fantasize and stuff. Even the mentor of the protagonist in question, who is kinda partner to Nem (protagonist) is described as someone from Mills and Boons.

Its really confusing why I hate the book. It could be due to the intense gay part. Or it could be just that it felt like a Mills and Boons for homosexuals or something. Probably, it could be that I am not aware of the little tale between Poseidon and his devotee. Well, the story hadn't driven me into knowing it, which only inclines that it is no good for me.

The only reason I took up this book is that it was nominated for Hindu Prize recently.

If you made it to this part of the review - even after reading the first sentence - I suggest you take a leap of faith. Maybe you could find some intense stuff in this novel.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Title: Seahorse

Author: Janice Pariat

ISBN (edition I've read): 9788184005820

Rating: 

Read between: 17-02-2017 to 21-02-2017

Publisher: Random House India

Pages: 294

MRP: ₹ 499

The best deal for this book could be found here: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like: