Featured...

Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information...

Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Crossover by Sunil Sandeep, Betty Bileterka (Illustrator)



Blurb (from the jacket):


The poet reflects. The soul speaks. God enlightens. These are three distinct parts of the same voice. The soul yearns to connect with other souls, looking for the way home. Sunil Sandeep’s poetry is both map and compass pointing the way. The first step is questioning, WHY (the first poem in the collection). “An unexamined life is not worth living”, Socrates tells us. Sunil Sandeep, the young philosopher-poet, reminds us of this great truth as well, in his own gentle way. Time-old voices echo here and there, supporting the young philosopher-poet whose message can be heard loud and clear, capturing the essence of life, lamenting the downward spiral of humanity as she sells her very soul to Mammon; “muted” and paralyzed, her heart is locked and the key thrown away. Suddenly “a voice in the wilderness” is calling: “Stop. Look and see, listen and hear, act. Not all is lost, there’s hope... Journey within.”

This unique piece of poetry, epic in proportions, speaks to our whole being. Engrossing, beautifully written, it invites us along with the poet to think, reflect and contemplate the meaning of life, the self, humanity, the universal... Line after line sparkles with gems of wisdom pointing the way to higher worlds, to the tenderness of the human heart, to the realm of the soul, to spiritual depths and heights, and to God. Love, pain, wisdom, action... an Indian soul is talking to the world. 

Keep writing Sunil, enriching the world with beauty and purity of heart and thought and by all means LOVE – what the world needs now more than ever before.


My take on the book:
This book marks the first of our Poetry review. In fact, I haven't read any poetry till now. I always thrashed it away assuming it to be boring, too deep for my liking or just too complicated. Not that I have many. I don't see the point of buying so thin a book, with very few words and read it. It made little sense to me. It is not that I hate poets or poetry. I seriously admire them, but it is just that I don't feel it worth my time. It is just my opinion. Until I read this book, which I hadn't had to buy, which was sent by BecomeShakespeare.com people. So I thought, why not give it a try? How worse could it get, I thought.

The moment I received, unlike various books sent by BecomeShakespeare.com, this book had nothing about the publishers. The backcover was plain, except for the blurb by someone named, Nina Spanovangelis and that's it.

The front cover had a Fakir, I guess, walking listlessly. The cover reminds me of Sai Baba. His clothes are so same and this picture seems like it is just out of one of his various biographies.

Not to mention, the author's name also sounded peculiar to me. It is more like two names written as one, 'Sunil Sandeep'.

I turned the pages of the book trying to find the publishers info, but found none. There is everything but the page that details the publishers, edition and stuff. Perhaps, it was self-publishers. Nevermind!

The most striking aspect of the book is the illustrations. Every alternate page has a illustration, which makes the book just readable for me, because I hate reading poetry. The very look of half-filled pages, discourage me. But in this case, it was a brilliant idea to include the illustrations. The better is that the illustration could be associated the poem, itself! When I say illustrations, don't mistake them to be depicting the scene in the poem. Well, the poem has no scenes. More about the poems in the coming paragraphs. The illustrations were surrealistic ones. As complicated as the author's portrayal of thoughts through these poems.

Like I have mentioned earlier, the poems were more questions than answers. The very first poem's title reads, 'Why?' And it goes on to dig out the enlightening facts of life.

I must say that this book has varied effects on varied people. For me, it was confusing. More than revelations, it left me bewildering.

On the whole, it is up to the reader to whether to read this book or not. Poetry is not a genre read by many people. This one could be a good to start with, but a person with deep-thoughts will only be able to understand and utilize the book to the most...

                 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Title: The Crossover

Author: Sunil Sandeep, Betty Bileterka (Illustrator)

Tagline: Open Heart Verses

ISBN (edition I've read): N/A

Rating:

Read between: 10-06-2014 to 11-06-2014

Publishers: N/A

Reviewed for: BecomeShakespeare.com

Pages: 142

MRP: N/A

The best deal for this book could be found here:  

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like: